Monday, July 5, 2010

How to record guitar in Cubase (part 2)

In some of the previous posts I already wrote how to record guitar in Cubase. Today, I want to tell you about some tricks and tips, that you can use in Cubase for recording.


1) Mono or stereo?
If you have mono-signal, for example from one microphone or guitar output, it’s better to use mono-track. That will not waste your free space on hard-drive and improve performance. And if you using two microphones in recording your guitar amp, you can also record it to a different mono-tracks and then experimenting with mixing those tracks.


2) Avoid clipping in recording.
Always look at the level of input signal. If it is too high, your sound will be clipped and distorted. So, you need to check output of your signal and then the input. In Cubase you always can see the graphic of volume and peak-meter.

3) Leave free beginning bars
I always freeing beginning bars of my project because that helps me in recording. That free bars allows me to prepare before record. Sometimes I making intro with drums and other instruments that are “riding” into the whole song.